The Palazzo Conti Gentili


The Palazzo Conti Gentili dates back to the 13th century and it has undergone a considerable transformation over the years. The entrance portal is the only remaining evidence of its original structure.
 
In 1532, Giovanni Di Francesco Tuzi, the owner, renovated the lower part of the building. At a later date, between 1580 and 1583, his heir Carlo Di Francesco Conti restored the upper part of it, which became an elegant Renaissance-style residence.
 
In 1721, the Palazzo Conti Gentili passed to the town hall and underwent other changes, which gave it the current role of ‘Palace of Studies’ (Palazzo degli Studi).
 
Nowadays, this Palace is home to: the Liceo Classico, the Liceo Linguistico, the Liceo delle Scienze Umane, the Luigi CeciLibrary, the registry office, the Pietrobono Study Centre and the cineauditorium.
 
In 2005, a branch of “Sapienza” University of Rome, the Law Faculty, was established at the Palazzo Conti Gentili. Following the agreements between the town hall and the University, the first activity held in it was a seminar addressed to notaries and judges. The seminar was in memory of the jurist Riccardo Orestano.
 
The Meridiana, which adorns the main facade of the building, was designed by the architect Giovanni Olivieri in the mid 19th century.
 
  • Share on Tumblr